Monday, September 17, 2007

Now it's personal

We picked up another Chilean Mesquite at Sun Valley Growers yesterday.

That's Karen Kelly with Lisa.

I was telling Karen that I grew up in Indiana (she's from Michigan), and I knew just a very few trees by sight: maple, sycamore, oak... but that now, since we've started the Arboretum Project, I've become aware of trees everywhere, and I can tell a Foothills Palo Verde from a Blue Palo Verde, and a Chilean Mesquite from an Argentinean. And I love it. And it's fun.

Now it's personal, she said.

Yeah, it is. Especially with Bill and Betty, Hobart, Screwy, Mr. Berlandier, The Mexican, Kyra and Deborah, et al.

Karen said that a friend of hers had named a lamb after her, and... it died 2 weeks later. Awful.

We here at the Arboretum have a very strong commitment to not let that happen.

Because now it's personal.

No comments: